St. Lawrence University

Where Can I Get WiFi/Computer Access Once I Am Released?

There are multiple options available on our site if you search for "wifi": 

Canton Public Library

  • Address: 6 Park Pl, Canton, NY 13617
  • Phone: (315) 386-3712
  • Hours: Monday: 9:30am-8pm, Tuesday: 9:30am-5pm, Wednesday: 9:30am-8pm, Thursday: 9:30am-5pm, Friday: 9:30am-5pm, Saturday: 10am-3pm, Sunday: CLOSED


Roswell P. Flower Memorial Library in Watertown


Potsdam Public Library

  • Address: 2 Park Street, Potsdam NY 13676
  • Phone: (315)-265-7230
  • Hours: Monday through Thursday: 9 AM - 8 PM, Friday and Saturday: 9 AM - 5 PM, Sunday: 12 PM - 5 PM

How Do I Get My Social Security Card?

If you are getting a NEW card for the first time:

  • In order to get a Social Security card if you do not already have one, you must bring your birth certificate to prove your age and that you are an American citizen. You also need a driver’s license, a state-issued non-driver ID card, a U.S. passport, an employee ID card, a student ID card, or a military ID card to prove your identity.
  • You need at least two (2) different documents to get your Social Security card.
  • Link to application


If you are getting a REPLACEMENT card:

  • You must bring original forms that prove that you have a card.
  • You are only allowed three (3) card replacements in ten (10) years.


Other SS Information:

  • May be able to do online
  • Social Security Office in Watertown
    • Address: 156 Bellew Ave South, Watertown, NY 13601
      • It is located on the half block south of Arsenal Street by the Public Safety Building
    • Phone: 1-866-627-6995
    • Hours: Monday: 9am-4pm, Tuesday: 9am-4pm, Wednesday: 9am-12pm, Thursday: 9am-4pm, Friday: 9am-4pm, Saturday/Sunday: CLOSED
  • Here are direct links to Social Security Offices in the area:

How Do I Get Help With Transportation?

There are multiple options available on our Transportation resources page:


Information about St. Lawrence County Public Transit -- First Mile, Last Mile

  • Phone: (315) 386-2600
  • Payments/Passes
    • $2 or a token for a one-way trip
    • $36 for 20 rides
    • $53 for 30 rides
    • $68 for 40 rides
  • How to get a bus pass
    • Can get from any driver
    • Need exact change
    • Busses are wheelchair accessible
    • Kids under 3 ride for free
    • Not refundable
  • Schedule:
  • Canton Stops
    • Canton Rite Aid, Miner Street
    • Canton 1 Stop Career Center (By Request)
  • More information public transit

How Do I Get a Passport?

  • Fill out DS-11 form
  • Present Citizenship
    • Submit one of the following. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.
    • Fully-valid, undamaged passport (may be expired)
    • S. birth certificate (must have all of the following)
      • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
      • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
      • Lists your parent(s)' full names
      • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
      • Has the registrar's signature
      • Has the seal of the issuing authority
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Certificate of Citizenship
    • Present Identification
      • Present one of the following identification documents to the acceptance agent:
        • In-state, fully-valid driver's license
        • In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID
        • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
        • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
        • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
        • S. military ID or military dependent ID
        • Valid foreign passport
      • Bring photocopy of Identification
        • Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.
      • Determine any special circumstances
      • Provide a photo
        • Photo requirements:
          • Size of photo: 2x2 inches
          • Size of head 1-1 ⅜ inches
          • Recent photo-- taken within the last 6 months
          • No glasses
          • Plain white background
          • Face directly facing camera
          • Neutral smile
          • No hats or head coverings
          • Picture must be in color
        • Fees
          • Passport book: application fee: $110 execution fee: $25
          • Passport card: application fee: $30 execution fee: $25
        • Submit application

How Do I Get a License?

License for the first time:

  • Take learners permit test at local DMV
    • When you apply for learner's permit you must bring completed application, social security card, and acceptable proof of identity and date of birth
  • Schedule/take road test


Renew (if license has been expired, suspended, lost, stolen or damaged):

  • Renew online or mail renewal application with $64.50 fee OR
  • Visit DMV to complete form in person



How Do I Get a Copy of My High School Diploma/GED?

High School Diploma:



Taking the Test:

  • Review your states requirements, which are available on or state websites
  • Study for exam
    • Study books and resources available, additional resources can be offered at high school attended
  • Register for exam
    • To register, test takers will need to go to the GED website and create an online account that includes their personal information. Once this account has been created, exam candidates can log in, choose which subject tests they want to take and select a testing center in their area.
  • Take test
    • Takes approximately 7.5 hours to complete all four GED subject test sections
    • Have the choice to sit for one section at a time or all four at once
    • Language Arts section: 150 minutes, Math: 115 minutes, Social Studies: 90 minutes, Science: 90 minutes (all approximate).


If You Have Already Taken the Test:

  • Takes 2 to 3 weeks to get the form that you have your GED
  • Fill out Attachment H form
  • Payment:
    • Cannot send cash
    • Make check or money order to New York State Education Department
    • $4.00 for a copy of a passing transcript
    • $4.00 for a copy of a failing transcript
    • $10.00 for copy of diploma and transcript
  • New York State Education Department Address
    • The New York State Education Department

HSE Office

P.O. Box 7348

Albany, New York 12224-0348

How Do I Get a Copy of My Birth Certificate?

If you were born in the United States:

  • You must contact the Vital Records Office for your home state for specific instructions and possible fees.
  • In case you need to get your birth certificate fast, you may be able to contact the office and have them speed up the process.
    • Costs $30 to get a copy (If you are writing a personal check or a money order to pay this fee, make it out to New York State Department of Health)
    • Address: Certification Unit, Vital Records Section/2nd floor, 800 North Pearl Street, Menands, NY 12204
    • Costs $15 to get a copy
    • Address: NYC Health Department, Office of Vital Records, 125 Worth Street, CN4, Rm. 133, New York, NY 10013
    • If you decide to mail in your application for a birth certificate copy in New York City, be prepared that it may take up to 30 days
  • For other states, go to


If you were born on a Military Base or abroad but are still a U.S. citizen:

  • If you were born in a different country to American parents, they should have gone to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to get what is called a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • You may need to say the country that you were born in
  • Costs $50 to get a new copy (If you write a check, make it out to “Department of State”)
  • Mail to: Department of State Passport Vital Records Section, 44132 Mercure Cir., PO Box 1213, Sterling, VA 20166-1213
  • Valid ID
  • Required information:
    • Full name
    • Place of birth and date
    • If you were adopted, your adoptive name
    • Any passport info if you have one
    • Your parents’ full names
    • If you know your serial number of the FS-240
    • Signature
    • Mailing address
    • Contact number
    • Legal Guardian(s) Only: A copy of the court order that proves you are the guardian
  • Takes 4 to 6 weeks


If you were born abroad and then adopted by a U.S. citizen:


For more information, go to